Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Heaven is 30,000 feet in the air.

Often labeled as overly analytical and critical, I am never one to falsely praise our country's transportation systems.



I mean, come on. We drive way too many cars, burning way too many fuels that we just don't have. Towns that rely on fuel-efficient vehicles, bikes, bus systems, and other forms of alternative transportation are typically college towns that serve as liberal havens and do not wholly represent the entire American circumstance.



So, basically, we suck at getting from point A to point B. At least, we suck at doing it sustainably, inexpensively, and - overall - well.



However, I will admit, despite the inefficiencies clogging our transportation systems today, not every component of each individual transpiration system is in bad shape; there's always the exceptions.






This time it's Continental Airlines.



Last Wednesday, on my 7:25 a.m., four-hour-long flight from Denver to Newark, they provided me with not just a complimentary beverage, not just a sack of peanuts, but an ENTIRE breakfast. I'm talking the works: a muffin, cereal (milk was made available), raisins, and another drink by our choice (remember, they already gave us the milk?!).

I have to admit, I was in culinary heaven. Airlines refuse to budge and provide any other form of sustinence than a small glass of pop, but a full breakfast? I couldn't believe my own eyes.

Sure, about five minutes into the glorious feast, we experienced turbulence, spilling my coffee evenly across my entire lap.

But honestly, it was worth it. I am flying Continental as often as possible. That's right - advertising on my blog! I oppose it normally and morally, but in this case, it just fits.

If you're going to choke the earth with toxic fuels and unsustainable choices, why not do it in style and edible comfort?

That's all for now.

RA training has been an exhaustive process, but more on that later, I'm sure.

2 comments:

  1. Random comment (because I just took a class on climate change and love to talk about it as much as possible): More fossil fuels are burned in electricity generation than by automobiles. So not only find alternative sources of transportation, but turn off your lights people! Put on a sweater instead of turning on the heat, and use cold water for laundry instead of hot. Those little things would help just as much as buying a hybrid or taking the bus.

    P.S.EEP! If we keep using as much fossil fuels as we are now, we're expected to be out (yes, completely) of oil in 43 years, Gas in 167 years, and Coal in 417. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mo! I always know I can count on you for good input on the environment.

    I agree with your short-term solutions, too!! I always unplug my appliances if they aren't being used within the next 20 minutes or currently!!

    I really want to find ways to help persuade our country to realize that sustainable living is totally possible and not unrealistic. It's just a matter of helping massive change in values and the economy!!

    And on a lighter note, I MISS YOU!!

    ReplyDelete