Saturday, August 8, 2009

Karaoke - it's more than just guaranteed humility.

Sporting a drink in one hand and an overused microphone in the other, the average bar patron who participates in karaoke nights never really embodies what I would call glamour. But as I’ve always believed, the best entertainers are not always the most glamorous (or sober).

 

 

Truly, karaoke is a quintessential component of bar culture, and no matter how many notes I sing out of tune, I’ll never grow tired of the one social activity that allows me to reconnect with my favorite teen pop songs from the ‘90s, one color-changing line of lyrics at a time.

 

 

I recently familiarized myself with how much I adore karaoke all over again when I went to The Shack this past Friday with a couple of friends from high school, including my former German teacher, Frau.

 

 

Frau has always been an important person in my life since I met her my freshman year. The first day of class, she confessed a scandalous history in which she provided the details regarding her ex-husband who ran off with an Italian woman half her age. From that moment on, I knew Frau would be one of my favorite people in the world.

 

 

To this day, she has maintained her title and when she invited me to this so-called Shack before I headed back to Ithaca, I couldn’t refuse. After all, I had not been able to attend her retirement party and would be leaving for school in less than a week. It was only fair.

 

 

While at the restaurant, I, along with a clan of blonde-haired women and a rather large man whose singing was comparable to that of Sinatra, carried the night away with karaoke favorites like “Rehab,” “Hit Me With Your Best Shot,” and “Landslide.” A few of the other bar inhabitants that night decided to take the more sexually explicit route and charmed us with such memorable hits as “Your Sex is On Fire” and the very straightforward, “Something In Your Mouth.”

 

 

All in all, it was a delightful evening, full of appetizer sampler platters, inebriated laughter, and third-rate dancing.

 

 

 

New item for Christmas wish-list: karaoke machine!

No comments:

Post a Comment