Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Perspective: Five Ways in which “Bad Romance” is Good Feminism.




Lady Gaga is, above all else, an artist. After all, art is interpretive, representative of specific cultural contexts, and idiosyncratically constructed (at least, from my perspective – another aspect of the way in which art operates).


And because Lady Gaga, an enigmatic, fashionably conscious, and considerably intimidating performer of the most sexualized, individualized, and glamorized power known to the world of pop culture, it is no surprise that her recent video for “Bad Romance” (the first single  off her widely anticipated album of only eight new songs, The Fame Monster), was dramatically unique.


However, what I found most interesting in Gaga’s video – perhaps a conclusion inspired by my recent studies in the field of socially constructed and influenced genders, sexes, and desires – was the frequent incorporation of feminist-related concepts used to tell a compelling narrative in which females are submissive unless able to destroy the dominance of men.


As an advocate for gender equality and self-declared feminist, I rather enjoyed this potential foundation for her theatrical display of music. Here are the five ways from which I determined Lady Gaga’s own brand of feminist theory:
  1.     The differentiation in colors and clothing. Throughout the video, Lady Gaga’s wardrobe – ranging from practically nothing to a full piece body suite that leaves almost everything to the imagination – provides insight to feminine traits. At the beginning, when she is the most submissive toward males (performing for them, blind to the world) she wears white, a symbolic color of weddings, marriages, and the ultimate form of historical female subservience: the adjoining of man and property. When discussing her desires or avoiding such matters, she wears black, red, or sexualized outfits that do not hide her, blind her, or color her married. 
  2.    The narrative itself. One could argue that women (and men) are often born with this lack of true vision - an ability to see what they are really being set up to achieve (for females, typically male pleasure), as illustrated through the emergence of the blinded, white-covered women in the beginning. Then, Lady Gaga is kidnapped by two females, both of whom are wearing fairly but less so than previously conservative, white clothing, to perform for a group of highly masculinized, often shirtless men. She appears weary at first, but is forced into the performance, for which she submits to male pleasure and attempts to arouse them. 
  3.  The song is called “Bad Romance.” Lady Gaga repeats her desires, which often contradict on an astronomical level: she needs his ugly and disease, his fire; she needs all that is bad and good from him, yet this contributes the fact that any the relationship is a “bad romance.” This could be interpreted as the pervasive types of relationships infecting mostly heterosexuals today – one in which males dominate and females accept all that is male, or forgivable, accepting a bad romance, without which, they would not be able to survive in the patriarchal society controlling relationships globally. 
  4. The death scene. Lady Gaga kills the man with fire that spurts from her breasts – a symbolic representation of femininity and women. Breasts are used to make women attractive in many societies, represent one of the key difference in reproductive capacities that separate women from men, and in general, are the most desired, socially encouraged physical manifestation of chauvinistic lust. It makes sense that this ultimate metaphor for the treatment of women transforms into a weapon against the masculine regime.
  5.    “I’m a free bitch, baby” This line, often repeated explicitly and subtly throughout the song, is another way to comprehend feminist-based ideas. Bitch is one of the most common terms for a woman who fails to succumb to “weak” feminine behavior and carries herself in a masculine manner.  By saying she’s a free bitch, which is originally muffled in the beginning and directly loud and clear later, allows Lady Gaga to access the language and empower herself. She is free from the world of patriarchy - she is different, eventually resistant to oppressive powers. 


In essence, am I overanalyzing and giving Lady Gaga too much credit for which Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Andrea Dworkin would have my head? Possibly. But I see real potential here for a critique on masculinity, patriarchal society, and the absence of a feminist voice. And whether or not you believe I've reached my capacity for over-the-top-and-beyond thoughts, at least remember this:


Songs, no matter how dense, ridiculous, brilliant, or old, should never be taken only at face-value. Music, whether solely an extension of capitalism or locally charged entertainment, is an important element of culture and should always be explored, debated, and interpreted. 

13 comments:

  1. i stumbled across this browsing on twitter (dont ask me how) and i think you have some very unique opinions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, thanks. Yes, it's a bit much, I realize. But I just thought it would be interesting to examine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, and I think it makes a ton of sense. Also, thanks for helping me understand the actual narrative of the video, haha. I'm only a recent Gaga convert, but I've hated myself all day for liking her. Thanks for justifying my feelings academically haha. Brilliant analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Adam! If you need to know more awesome Lady Gaga songs, I can hook you up! haha.

    I'm glad the response to this post has been mostly positive. I know I tend to analyze to certain extents that may be unnecessary (which I easily may have done in this case), but as long as it gets everyone thinking and developing their own interpretations, I'm happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't see it at first...but now I totally see the femenism in it. Good analysis. Every song is written for a reason and with a purpose. I would pin point lady gaga as a femenist...she doesn't conform to society, and femenists don't either! :)
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Art is political.
    I tend to have issues with defining what a good femist is, and I'm not sure Lady Gaga fits this, but she does have some of these qualities. The video is good.
    I wonder if people will try to discredit this argument because of her hermaphrodite rumors.
    Regardless, good job, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see the points being made, but I think the target audience should come into consideration. I understand and agree that pop music shouldn't necessarily be taken at face value, however, the audience it usually hits is middle school and high schoolers and mostly young girls. While some will look for these deeper meanings, I don't think the majority will see past the submissive sexuality. Sadly this is a time when adolescents are completely malleable and just trying to find themselves, and I feel that I speak from experience when I say that videos and ideas like this don't help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure which Elizabeth this is, if you are one I know, but I definitely agree with what you said. Most of these meanings, whether well argued or not, are often missed by the target audience, which is often raised (through a variety of factors and generational characteristics) to ignore most messages period, much less a deeper way of trying to analyze a song, no matter how far-fetched it may seem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And also, I definitely am not trying to argue that Lady Gaga serves as a feminist role model for young women or adolescents in general. Her sole admission to the field of U.S. pop culture puts in her in a place of objectification whether or not her videos/songs may arguably at the times contradict that subservient role.

    For me, I enjoyed writing and analyzing this video to help understand the artistic side of Lady Gaga and the way in which it could be interpreted from a socio-political standpoint.

    Regardless Lady Gaga is still going to be a part of the complex, economically driven music culture we all live and breathe today, so that has to be taken into consideration, too if one were to fully dissect what Lady Gaga means, what she really says, and how it influences society in its own way.

    Glad to hear reactions in general, though! It's always good to get everyone thinking beyond the catchy words of any song

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting analysis. There definitely is a clear progression of her clothing going from complete white to red at the end (loss of innocence in a way). I've watched this video trying to understand every single piece of it because it truly is, if anything else, a remarkable work of art.

    (The Fame "Monster" coffin with the cross, the horned goats on the walls, the excessive product placement and who could forget the huge eyes and creepy screaming cat?)

    Her impact on society, as you stated above, is going to continue to be so immense that she will eventually be able to get away with almost anything. These images of feminism, as you call it, and other thematic elements will only continue to grow.

    Is this good or bad? We'll just have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agreeing with Elizabeth and expanding, I want to mention an interview I heard long ago with the Beastie Boys where they were talking about the time right after releasing their first album. Young guys would come up to them after shows and stuff and say "yo, you dudes are so cool, singing about doing pcp and beating up chicks, that is so cool!" And the Bboys realized, oh my god, these guys don't get that we were joking. We better be more careful about our messages from now on. And they went on to become, indeed, very responsible and very politically engaged artists. But it just goes to show that satire and parody mostly don't work when we're talking about mass culture and the intelligence level of most americans, especially when it comes to issues of gender, race, and oppression.
    If Bad Romance is satire, it's a very cluttered, mixed satire, and most people won't get it, they'll just think, again, oh, yeah, women are objects to be bought and sold, and they want to be mistreated, they want "disease" and ugliness and badness. And men should sit and stare and look cool and drink vodka.

    That said, I think Lady Gaga is probably really really smart and will end up being the new Madonna, a super mega star who controls her own little media empire and gets very rich, if she plays her cards right. But just as Madonna did, she will probably pull her punches and dilute any feminist message and choose slightly less threatening career moves in order to sell more records and not suffer backlash. It will be interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know why I hadn't read this comment by Steev until now. Apparently I didn't see the last billion times I had checked my blog over the past few months. Sorry!

    Yes, you bring up many, excellent points. I agree that the satire is certainly not clear in its more symbolic/abstract/culturally applicable aspects.

    And I agree that the way in which mainstream media coverage and mass communications operate in the United States prevent most people from accessing the intellectual means to analyze a song and try and realize its various potential points.

    So, as a whole, I guess I can still see the benefit (for myself, at least) in conducting an analysis like this because it helps present a different, more in-depth look at something most people won't even consider examining. Thus, in the end, hopefully I'll have convinced someone out there to review the way in which they watch and listen to music/music videos in order to incorporate more critical thought into their daily thinking.

    At the same time, most Americans, most people for that matter, are not going to engage in the same behavior! It's a sad reality, but it's a fun debate all the same!

    Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

    ReplyDelete